Monday, June 13, 2011

Reflection Essay

This semester was SO MUCH MORE taxing than last semester. Learning Unity sent me to hell in a handbasket and made my want to cry ina corner begging for UDK again. Some things about Unity were great such as being able to easily change parameters of any object through the inspector. I also greatly enjoyed the premade trees and textures that were included in the starter package. I never used them in the end but I like that they were there.

My beef with this program was the scripting mainly. I had to learn three new programs this semester and that was enough to make my brains feel overwhelmed, but learning to script was not in the cards for me. I missed one class learning certain scripting techniques and I was lost for the rest of the class.

As far as my project is concerned though, I'm happy that it came out as reasonably decent as it did. I've always wanted to make a game where you were looking at a regular sized room from a smaller point of view. I tried to do a project involving things like that any time we were given something akin to free reign but I'd always change my mind and go with something I deemed more interesting. This semester, I resolved to stick with it and made a game for hamsters. I love how much I can relate it to how my hamsters were when they'd escaped, getting into everything and ending up where you'd never expect them.

I didn't expect it to end up looking as finished as it does. And, no, it's not perfect, but for my lack of skill in both this program and scripting, I'm proud of what it is.

No comments: